What Is Good Mileage On A Used Car?
The drivers who come to Bentley Austin only want the best of the best, but what is good mileage on a used car? Although one used to be able to say that no car with more than 100,000 miles could be a good investment, today’s models are apt to endure for up to 200,000 miles or longer. The cut-off for great mileage on a used car might be as low as 30,000, but the truth is that San Antonio-area drivers have plenty of options in the current market.
The Smart Way to Shop for a Used Car
Mileage is just one of many important factors to consider when you’re shopping for a used car. Here, we’ve highlighted a few more of the important factors.
- Maintenance – Maintenance is arguably even more important than mileage since a model that’s been carefully maintained will usually last for much longer than a model with a spotty service history.
- Usage – Where has the vehicle been driven? Has it been used for towing or performance driving? City miles and heavy lifting can be harder on a vehicle than highway miles, so choose your next vehicle carefully.
- Condition – A model that’s been in an accident may have structural damage, and vehicles with structural damage may not be good investments, even when they have great mileage. On the same note, rust and other eyesores can indicate a deeper problem.
- Location – Most drivers never think to ask about where the used car they’re interested in was driven. Cool, temperate climates are easier on engines than especially hot, cold, or wet ones.
If you’re looking for a low-mileage used car that’s guaranteed to be reliable, a certified pre-owned model is an excellent choice.
Choosing a Used Car Based on Mileage
Despite all of these caveats, there is one smart way to choose a used car based on mileage:
- Most drivers put about 12,000 miles on their vehicles each year.
- There’s no guarantee for how long a vehicle will last, but you definitely don’t want to choose a model that will stop being useful before you pay off your loan.
- So, it’s a good idea to weigh the vehicle’s mileage against your loan term. If it will still have fewer than 150,000 miles at the time that you’re done paying off your loan, it may still be a good investment.
Mileage vs. Age
Most of our Dallas and San Antonio neighbors have heard stories about miraculous finds–years or even decades-old cars with only a few thousand miles. However, before you go and invest in some classic automobile, you should keep in mind that a low mileage used car isn’t necessarily a great investment. Here’s what you should know:
- Cars that aren’t driven regularly may still accumulate problems. Broken seals, expired fluids, and dead batteries are just a few of the most common. This is still true with high-end used models that may sit undriven for months at a time.
- Low-mileage used cars often come at a premium. If the added cost would cause you to spend much longer paying off your loan, it may not be worth it in the long run.
- Older vehicles may have parts that would no longer hold up under today’s standards. Read about the model’s history and reliability before you invest.
The Used Car You’ve Always Wanted is Right Here
Now that you’ve seen what counts as good mileage for a used car, we know you’ll be excited to search through the exciting selection of luxury vehicles at Bentley Austin. Don’t wait to explore our complete pre-owned inventory and our exclusive selection of pre-owned Bentley models. Interested in other car ownership information? Discover the difference between premium and regular gasoline with us today.
Learn More with Bentley Austin
Are you ready to take over the San Antonio streets? If so, the new Bentley Bentayga offers the specs you crave. This exquisite SUV is truly a peerless model in class, performance, and style. Crafting a Bentayga to match your own style is easy, thanks to the extremely wide range of available colors. Explore the 2021…
The Bentley Flying Spur has impressed industry experts and serious auto aficionados alike, and the latest model is better than ever before. In this guide, we take you inside the ultra-luxe 2021 Bentley Flying Spur interior to reveal the upscale design and cutting-edge amenities of this premium sedan. Want to take it for a spin?…
Are you looking for an SUV that won’t compromise on luxury? Then it’s time to take a look at the 2021 Bentley Bentayga interior. This model showcases Bentley’s immaculate style and cutting-edge technology, along with plenty of practical conveniences to make your San Antonio driving experience better than ever. Get a sneak peek inside the…