How to Check Your Transmission Fluid
Like routine synthetic motor oil changes, transmission service is a crucial aspect of caring for your Bentley Bentayga or Continental; your car can’t move without a healthy transmission. You may be wondering how to check your transmission fluid and when it’s necessary. Depending on whether you drive a new or pre-owned Bentley, you may not have to — at least not manually. The process is different depending on whether your car’s transmission has a dipstick or is sealed. Read on to learn more about checking your transmission.
How to Check Transmission Fluid with a Dipstick
- First, start the engine and let the car idle.
- Use your owner’s manual to locate the transmission dipstick.
- Remove the dipstick and touch the transmission fluid. Inspect the color; it should be mostly clear with a pink tinge. It shouldn’t look dirty or smell burnt.
- Wipe the fluid off the dipstick and place it back inside the car. Pull it out once again and check the level. More fluid will need to be added if it’s under the “Full” marker.
- It’s best to use a funnel to add more fluid — just be sure not to overfill.
How to Check Transmission Fluid in a Sealed Transmission
If your vehicle is newer and doesn’t have a dipstick, it has a sealed transmission. What is a sealed transmission? Sealed doesn’t mean inaccessible — it simply means the transmission doesn’t have dipstick and can’t be accessed the old-fashioned way. You shouldn’t attempt to check or replace the fluid in a sealed transmission, as you could end up damaging it in the process. Instead, our service technicians will check the fluid level for you with each routine service. If your transmission fluid needs to be checked, schedule service using our online service scheduler.
When to Check Fluid in a Sealed Transmission
Sealed transmissions were designed to reduce the amount of wasted transmission fluid, and to help drivers save on routine service costs. That being said, problems can still arise and the fluid may need to be replaced. Here are a few signs to watch out for if your vehicle has a sealed transmission:
- You can hear grinding when the gears switch.
- When the gears change, there’s a noticeable delay.
- There’s a delay in gear shifting during acceleration.
Schedule Transmission Service at Bentley Austin!
How often do you check your transmission fluid? For Bentley vehicles, transmission fluid checks are performed every 5,000 miles with services like oil changes, tire rotation, power steering fluid checks, and more. Still doing research? We can answer any additional questions you may have about transmission care, timing belts, brake fluid, or cabin air filters.
Contact the service center at Bentley Austin or visit us near Houston and Dallas to speak with us in person.