What is a Timing Belt?
Not all San Antonio-area drivers are familiar with how a timing belt functions in their luxury vehicle, but don’t fret. The Bentley Austin experts have put together a quick and easy guide to this deceptively simple component. So, what is a timing belt anyway?A timing belt is an essential piece of an internal combustion engine. They are sometimes known as cambelts or timing chains, if in engines with larger strokes and bores. Read on to discover the answer to “How much is a timing belt for my Bentley,” with our certified service center technicians.
How Do Timing Belts Work On A Bentley?
Those asking “What is a timing belt” may not be surprised to learn that the timing belt is tailored to the specifics of a particular engine. This is certainly true for finely-tuned options like the 6¾ litre, twin turbocharged V8 available in the Bentley Mulsanne, and it’s true for other models in our lineup, too. Still, the basic operation of the timing belt won’t change much from vehicle to vehicle. Here’s how a timing belt functions:
- A timing belt synchronizes the rotation of camshaft and crankshaft, so that the pistons and valves can operate fluidly.
- As the camshaft rotates, the attached lobes, or cams, push against the valves that control air/fuel mixture intake and exhaust gas, while the crankshaft pushes the pistons down to create the pressure to help fuel ignition in the combustion chamber.
- In the case of a malfunctioning timing belt, the proximity of the the valves and pistons can be disrupted and collide, causing severe engine damage due to the high speeds at which they move.
How Much is a Timing Belt?
- In the unlikely event of a timing belt failure, the engine may have sustained significant damage. Repairs may entail replacing the water pump, valves, and pistons, leading to significant costs.
- If only the timing belt is damaged, the answer to “How much is a timing belt” will depend on the engine and the cost of labor. Consult your Bentley parts center and service technicians to learn what the expected costs may run in your model.
Learn the Signs Your Timing Belt Needs Replacement
With Bentley models, experts recommend replacing a timing belt around every 110,000 miles. If you notice any of the following warning signs with your timing chain or rubber belt when driving around Dallas, schedule a service appointment:
- Issues while the engine is running between 2000 – 4000 RPM
- The engine misfires
- Ticking noise coming from the engine
- The engine won’t start
- Smoke and fumes coming from the hood
- Oil leaks from the front of the motor
While timing belt issues are far from common on higher-end vehicles like the Bentley Bentayga, knowing the signs of a failing belt can help you minimize the risk of significant damage. While you’re doing research, find out what role a serpentine belt plays in your vehicle’s operation.
Trust Your Luxury Vehicle With the Bentley Austin Experts
Now that you’re a little more familiar with the answer to “What is a timing belt” and the role it plays in making your Houston touring as smooth as it can be, explore more Bentley service tips with our experts. Contact us to ask any questions on your mind or secure replacement components for your vehicle.
Learn More with Bentley Austin
Are you ready to take over the San Antonio streets? If so, the new Bentley Bentayga offers the specs you crave. This exquisite SUV is truly a peerless model in class, performance, and style. Crafting a Bentayga to match your own style is easy, thanks to the extremely wide range of available colors. Explore the 2021…
The Bentley Flying Spur has impressed industry experts and serious auto aficionados alike, and the latest model is better than ever before. In this guide, we take you inside the ultra-luxe 2021 Bentley Flying Spur interior to reveal the upscale design and cutting-edge amenities of this premium sedan. Want to take it for a spin?…
Are you looking for an SUV that won’t compromise on luxury? Then it’s time to take a look at the 2021 Bentley Bentayga interior. This model showcases Bentley’s immaculate style and cutting-edge technology, along with plenty of practical conveniences to make your San Antonio driving experience better than ever. Get a sneak peek inside the…